Tuesday 20 September 2011

Research- Music video task

The initial Genre I chose was Alternative rock however after further research I found that the more general but more accurate genre would simply be rock. many of the genre conventions used in alternative rock apply so the research I have gathered is still relevant, but by redefining the genre i should be able to more closely create a video which complies with the songs style and genre.

For the task I chose to look further into this song by Nirvana.



the genre of this music video is "Alternative Rock". I chose to look at it as it is representative of it's genre and displays elements such as Goodwin's theories very clearly, the key genre themes and conventions that I begun to pick up on when researching videos was the portrayal of the band as a whole, they weren't marketed as a singular person. this is clear through the use of a band name rather than the name of the singer.

As I was beginning to identify key themes and ideas of Rock videos and the kind of areas the songs and videos explored, such as the selling of the band and there music as the product rather than perfectly crafting a particular image, and also the common technical aspects used such as blur effects and having a wide usage of shot types thought primarily focusing on shots at the extremes of distance, I found this Prezzi slideshow, which perfectly outlined the ideas on conventions I had formed about the genre.




Some of the information in there is not quite accurate for my genre as it focuses more heavily on indie music instead of Rock which is the genre I have chosen to investigate.



-------------------------------------------------



-------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment